Date:      Fri, 8 Nov 2002 11:31:16 +0100
From:      "Robert T.G. Tan" <rotan@cs.pdx.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: samba

Im not sure why you need to know the port numbers.
If you have a simple samba configuration on your
samba server, your bsd box. You should be able
to browse these shares from your window box.

localhost, typically, is the name used only
by that localhost, not to access from a remote
host.

- You do need to have netbios installed on you
  W2K box.

If you want to access window shares, from your
bsd box, I'd suggest to look into
/usr/ports/net/sharity-light

On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 04:54:17PM -0600, Brian Henning wrote:
> hello-
> i would like to use access bsd samba shares from my windows 2000 box from
> work. currently i am tunneling port 139 through ssh. When i goto run
> \\localhost\share i get an error: The network name cannot be found. if i
> change the port to 9001 i can access the shares using smbclient. can someone
> tell me (if possible) how i can access these shares though windows on port
> 139 without using smbclient?
>
> thanks,
>
> brian

Robert Tan