Date:      Tue, 7 Jan 1997 22:54:36 -0700 (MST)
From:      Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        Gerard Giamberdine <gerard@holly.ColoState.EDU>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ppp route table

Gerard Giamberdine writes:
 > Hello,
 >
 > Having user ppp difficulties... I've gotten to the point where I can type
 > 'dial provider' in ppp and it connects fine. However when I shell out and
 > try telnet ... or ftp ..., it just hangs. I'm pretty sure the problem lies
 > in the route table, but am not entirely sure what it's values should be.
 > My ISP assigns me an IP each time, and I think itself a dynamic one too.
 > I'm a little confused on that since it seems like a dynamic IP on its
 > side isn't needed? Anyhow, I've been using my ISP's default gateway -
 > 129.82.192.1 when assigning IPs, and this is the route table I get:
 >
 > default		129.82.192.1	UGc	0	0	tun0
 > 127.0.0.1	127.0.0.1	UH	1	10	lo0
 > 129.82.192.1	129.82.192.96	UH	1	0	tun0
 > 		(my dyn IP)

Your default route is wrong.  You want the default route to be the
"other" end of the PPP link.  To accomplish this, edit your
/etc/ppp/ppp.linkup file and add the following:

	#
	# In all cases (since we've only got one) add his address as default
	# gateway.  This has the added benefit of making *any* packet routed
	# off our network redial the link.  Of course, this makes casual
	# name lookups expensive.
	#
	MYADDR:
	 delete 0 0
	 add 0 0 HISADDR

You'll also want to add the "default" for the other end of the PPP link,
the address you specify in /etc/ppp.conf, as the defaultrouter in
/etc/sysconfig.  This will provide a default route via the PPP link
*until* it actually comes up, causing the link to be demand dialed the
first time an off-site packet gets pushed through the link.  I.e., if
your /etc/ppp.conf contains:

	myIsp:
	 [...]
	 set ifaddr 200.100.50.43/24 200.120.47.8/24

you will want to make the *first* address your default route.  The
'delete 0 0' command in ppp.linkup will delete the existing default
route before attempting to insert the new one each time the link is
brought up.