Date:      Thu, 16 Dec 1999 06:04:02 +0100
From:      Martin Welk <mw@theatre.sax.de>
To:        John <papalia@UDel.Edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DNS Setup

On Wed, Dec 15, 1999 at 11:12:34PM -0500, John wrote:

> I have sendmail allowed in /etc/hosts.allow.  I have mx records in all the
> name databases.  I have O'Reilly's sendmail book on order, and it should be
> here tomorrow :)  Any other places I should start looking? Does DNS have to
> be expressly permitted in /etc/hosts.allow?  This makes no sense since i
> can be pinged and looked up?

Is sendmail running?

Check, if you can reach sendmail from other hosts by with a telnet session
to your SMTP port (telnet your.hosts.fqdn [smtp|25]) and look if it doesn't
hear for you.

Which recipients are test mails addresses to? For example, if you haven't
configured sendmail.cw properly, your host would be foo.bar.tlh, but you
it isn't reachable also as bar.tlh.

OTOH, you say you get them back with ``host unknown'' - check for the
name server of the machine your sending from if it can resolve an MX
record for the host/domain part of your recipients address. Did you
wait long enough to let world know of your DNS entries?

When you can reach the host foo.bar.tlh by IP but cannot direct mail
to it, it has often to do with DNS setup, otherwise your host would
have sent back that mail (what do those headers look like?)

How did you specify the MX records in your zone configuration?

For example, something like

foo	IN	A	a.b.c.d
	IN	MX	10 foo

in a zone configuration for bar.tlh will resolve to MX record =
foo.bar.tlh, where

foo	IN	A	a.b.c.d
	IN	MX	10 foo.other.tlh

would resolve to MX record = foo.other.tlh.bar.tlh, where

foo	IN	A	a.b.c.d
	IN	MX	10 foo.other.tlh.

will do what you expect (MX = foo.other.tlh) - you see the difference?

Regards,

Martin
--
 /| /|        | /| /            ,,You know, there's a lot of opportunities,
/ |/ | artin  |/ |/ elk                     if you're knowing to take them,