Date:      Tue, 9 Mar 2004 20:01:11 +0200
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@freebsd.org>
To:        Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: We have to fix this!

--GxcwvYAGnODwn7V8

On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 03:15:08PM +0100, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 03:10:56PM +0100, Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav wrote:
> +> Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org> writes:
> +> > it is really irritating that connecting files from other directory
> +> > is not possible.
> +>=20
> +> It is; you're just not doing it right.  If it weren't possible, none
> +> of the stuff in src/contrib and src/crypto would ever get built.
> +>=20
> +> (hint: .PATH)
>=20
> Sorry, I'm aware of .PATH, but try to do something like:
>=20
> SRCS=3Dfile1.c ../file2.c
>=20
I just wanted to further emphasize _why_ this will never be
supported: we want all our product files (aka object files)
to end up in the object directory ("obj"), and using source
files with path prefixes doesn't work well with suffix
transformation rules like .c.o, as make(1) only changes the
file suffix in that case.

(I know you've already learned how to use .PATH: properly.)

Cheers,
--=20
Ruslan Ermilov
FreeBSD committer