Date:      Thu, 6 Nov 2003 11:04:44 -0800
From:      Johnson David <DavidJohnson@Siemens.com>
To:        Preston Crawford <me@prestoncrawford.com>, freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Setting up X on FreeBSD?

On Thursday 06 November 2003 10:41 am, Preston Crawford wrote:

> When I did this (made my own config file) "startx" fired up without
> problems, except for a mouse that bounced directly to the upper right
> corner and stayed there for some reason. And then, when I fired up
> gdm I got an error that said "gdm is already running". Weird. When I
> fired up KDM it came up right. But then it got stuck after I logged
> in.

The mouse device should be set to /dev/sysmouse, after you've configured
the moue in sysinstall. If you set it to something else, it will work,
but might conflict with the sysmouse driver if you have that on.
(sysmouse is the FreeBSD equivalent to GPM).

GDM has a "bug" so you can't start it from ttys, but need a separate
startup script. See the file /usr/ports/x11/gdm2/pkg-message, for more
information. Not sure why KDM is giving you problems. Make sure the
command to start it up has the right parameters. There's some more info
on xdm login in the FAQ.

David