Date:      Sat, 15 Dec 2012 12:48:46 -0800
From:      Oleksandr Tymoshenko <gonzo@bluezbox.com>
To:        Ian Lepore <freebsd@damnhippie.dyndns.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: arm cache fixes

On 2012-12-15, at 12:20 PM, Ian Lepore <freebsd@damnhippie.dyndns.org> =
wrote:

> Yes, I've submitted yet another patch for an arm cache maintenance =
bug.=20
>=20
> Just to be clear: it is NOT the fix for the arm v6/v7 writeback =
problem.
>=20
> It also doesn't apply to Marvell/Sheeva-based armv5 systems, because
> they have their own SoC-specific cache maintenance routines.
>=20
> It does apply to most other armv4 and v5 systems.
>=20
> Speaking of the armv6/v7 bug that happens with writeback enabled... I
> took a hard look at the low-level asm code for those, and nothing =
jumps
> out at me as wrong.  But then, I've looked at the armv4 low level
> routines many times before, starting in 2009 when I first started
> fighting cache coherency problems, and I never noticed those incorrect
> 'bpl' instructions before.  (I've been doing arm asm since 1993, and =
I'm
> still always tripped up by the branch mnemonics used with arm.)
>=20
> I've been calling it "the armv6/v7" problem, but do we know whether =
it's
> both of those architectures, or if it's v7-only?  There's a huge
> difference between the cache maintenance schemes for the two.  If it
> happens on both, we should probably focus on the busdma_machdep code.
> If it's v7 only, maybe it's low-level code (which looks reasonable on
> its face, but I need to study the ARM ARM for v7 stuff more).

I performed extensive testing only on armv7 platform. Now that the =
problem has been
split in several sub-problems (pmap module fixes, L2 cache driver bugs, =
EHCI issue)
I'm going to apply pmap fixes and perform tests on my Raspberry Pi to =
gather more statistics.
I'll get back with more information as soon as I have it.=20