Date:      Wed, 27 Jun 2001 09:04:40 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        "'Chad R. Larson'" <chad@DCFinc.com>, Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>
Cc:        "juha@saarinen.org" <juha@saarinen.org>, "joe@zircon.seattle.wa.us" <joe@zircon.seattle.wa.us>, "stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Staying *really stable* in FreeBSD

[I'm going out on a limb here (using MS Outlook). I think I've got the formatting
cleaned up, but if I don't, feel free to complain.]

On Tuesday, June 26, 2001 5:11 PM, Chad R. Larson [SMTP:chad@DCFinc.com] wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 24, 2001 at 02:34:03AM -0700, Jordan Hubbard wrote:
> > As I said at the beginning, perhaps it's time to simply re-write the
> > Handbook paragraph which inadvertently "sells" -stable as a solution
> > for certain types of problems it was never meant to solve.
>
> Yes, the handbook paragraph was clearly written to suggest that if
> you run a production machine you should track -STABLE **in leiu of
> -CURRENT**, not as a general rule.  That is, if you chose to track
> anything at all, it should be -STABLE.

I disagree completely. Did you read the handbook?

<HANDBOOK EXCERPT>
If you are interested in tracking the FreeBSD development process, and
you want early access to the features that will appear in the next ``point''
release of FreeBSD then you should consider following FreeBSD-STABLE.
Tracking FreeBSD-STABLE also gives you easy access to security fixes
for FreeBSD as they are released. However, you do not need to track
FreeBSD-STABLE to do this, as every security advisory for FreeBSD
explains how to fix the problem for the releases it affects.
</HANDBOOK EXCERPT>

Seems pretty clear to me. If you're interested in the development process, or
need a new feature, you should *consider* tracking stable. -STABLE is also
a method for getting security fixes, although it is NOT the only method.

Where exactly did you get the impression that -STABLE was for people who
want to get all the bug fixes?

> That should be easy to clarify.

Looks clear to me already.

-Bill