Date:      Thu, 26 Jan 2012 11:41:02 -0800
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        satish amara <satishkamara@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: stateful firewall implementation in FreeBSD

Hi--

On Jan 26, 2012, at 9:24 AM, satish amara wrote:
> I have question regarding the size of the state table kept in FreeBSD for
> stateful packet inspection. Say we have a valid senario where we have
> stateful firewall rule for HTTP and we get lot of incoming new HTTP session
> and state table is filled full. In that case I guess FreeBSD would reject
> new sessions.  Just want to know what is the latest on this. How does
> FreeBSD would handle if the state table is full and we get valid new HTTP
> connection. What are options in terms of configuration or new feature in
> BSD would address this issue.

A securely designed firewall will drop connections when the state table is full.

You can increase the size of the state table by following the IPF FAQ:

  http://www.phildev.net/ipf/IPFques.html#ques25

...but in point of fact, keeping state for high-volume traffic is generally
a losing game, and you are better off (IMHO) setting up stateless bidirectional
rules which permit such high volume traffic.

HTTP isn't generally too much of a problem, though-- something like a popular
stratum-1 or 2 public NTP timeserver will easily blow out a stateful firewall
if you try to keep state for NTP's UDP traffic.

Regards,
--
-Chuck