Date:      Fri, 1 Oct 1999 14:55:12 +0100
From:      graeme.n.brown@bt.com
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Does gdb -k work on FreeBSD-3.2-RELEASE elf kernels ?

I realise that the following is a little offbeam for freebsd-net but I am
trying to fix a
networking bug. So I am hoping someone will be kind ...

I am trying to trace the line of code which gives a kernel panic in some IP6
code (KAME) which I am modifying on FreeBSD-3.2-RELEASE. I am trying
to do a kernel post-mortem analyis with gdb -k etc.

I believe I have prepared a kernel (IP6_624) with debug support OK :-

cd ~graeme/sys/i386/conf
config -gr IP6_624
cd ../../IP6_624
make depend
make
cp kernel kernel.debug
strip -g kernel
make install

reboot ;

dumpon /dev/wd0s1b   ( my swap partition)
provoke kernel panic, kernel dumps to /dev/wd0s1b

after reboot :-
cd  ~graeme/sys/compile/IP6_624
savecore -N ./kernel.debug /usr/crash

which in my case created  /usr/crash/kernel.2 and /usr/crash/vmcore.2
but when I run gdb -k I do not seem to see debug symbols :-

gdb -k ./kernel.debug /usr/crash/vmcore.2
GNU gdb 4.18
conditions.
This GDB was configured as "i386-unknown-freebsd"...
IdlePTD 3809280

kernel symbol `gd_curpcb' not found.  <--- what does this mean ?
(kgdb) where
No stack.
(kgdb) quit

What am I doing wrong ?