Date:      Thu, 01 Dec 2005 15:33:16 +0530
From:      Vijay Kiran <vijaykiran.duvvuri@gmail.com>
To:        richard.gliebe@fhv.at
Cc:        freebsd-list <freebsd-user-groups@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: kismet

[snip]
> Here is my output from 'ifconfig iwi0':
> # ifconfig iwi0
> iwi0: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
> ether 00:0e:35:a9:16:b6
> media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect
> status: no carrier
> ssid ""
> channel -1 authmode OPEN powersavemode OFF powersavesleep 100
> rtsthreshold 2312 protmode CTS txpower 100
> wepmode OFF weptxkey 1
>
> thanks in advance
> Richard

Seems like your iwi0 is not configured properly. Check if you have
enabled the wireless. My laptop has a button for switching it on.
Then load the firm-ware, I've intel card so I loaded the iwi-firmware
from ports.
Finally use /etc/rc.d/netif start. That should find the Wi-Fi network
and it should be configured. After that you can use kismet.

Regards,
www.VijayKiran.com