Date:      Thu, 9 Jul 2020 22:00:16 +0200
From:      Michael Tuexen <tuexen@freebsd.org>
To:        Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
Cc:        Mark Johnston <markj@freebsd.org>, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: making SCTP loadable and removing it from GENERIC

> On 9. Jul 2020, at 21:44, Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org> wrote:
>=20
>> On 9 July 2020, at 08:13, Mark Johnston <markj@freebsd.org> wrote:
>>=20
>> Hi,
>>=20
>> I spent some time working on making it possible to load the SCTP =
stack
>> as a kernel module, the same as we do today with IPSec.  There is one
>> patch remaining to be committed before that can be done in head.  One
>> caveat is that the module can't be unloaded, as some work is needed =
>> make this safe.  However, this obviously isn't a regression.
>>=20
>> The work is based on the observations that:
>> 1) the in-kernel SCTP stack is not widely used (I know that the same
>>  code is used in some userland applications), and
>> 2) the SCTP stack is quite large, most FreeBSD kernel developers are
>>  unfamiliar with it, and bugs in it can easily lead to security =
holes.
>>=20
>> Michael has done a lot of work to fix issues in the SCTP code,
>> particularly those found by syzkaller, but given that in-kernel SCTP =
has
>> few users (almost certainly fewer than IPSec), it seems reasonable to
>> require users to opt in to having an SCTP stack with a simple =
"kldload
>> sctp".  Thus, once the last patch is committed I would like to =
propose
>> removing "options SCTP" from GENERIC kernel configs in head, =
replacing
>> it with "options SCTP_SUPPORT" to enable sctp.ko to be loaded.
>>=20
>> I am wondering if anyone has any objections to or concerns about this
>> proposal.  Any feedback is appreciated.
>=20
> I have a number of systems using SCTP.  It is a key part of a =
distributed application.  As a user of SCTP, I have a slight objection =
to removing it from the kernel.  It would require me to remember when =
setting up a new system to enable that.  I am not likely to remember.  =
What is going to happen if you run an application that uses SCTP and the =
module is not loaded?  What will remind=20
The socket() call would fail. What then happens depend on the error =
handling in
your application.
> me how to fix the issue?  I am not likely to remember about this 6 =
months from now.
I'm not sure, but I guess Mark is planning to MFC the changes to =
stable/12.
So you would test this when upgrading to 12.2, I guess.
I suggested to document what user have to do (assuming they read
UPGRADING and it gets documented there.

Best regards
Michael