Date:      Mon, 19 Jul 1999 16:25:36 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Joseph Scott <joseph@randomnetworks.com>
To:        "Charles A. Peters" <cpeters2@home.com>
Cc:        Freebsd-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Majordomo error .. returned mail: testlist-list ... aliasing/forwarding loop broken

	You don't mention what version of Sendmail you are using, but I'm
going to guess that it's 8.9.x.  Check out the Majordomo FAQ :

http://www.greatcircle.com/majordomo/majordomo-faq.html#4.12

It's short, so here it is :

The new security features of sendmail don't allow :include: directories to
be group writable. Unfortunately, by default these
directories are group writable with Majordomo. If you have this problem
you will see errors from sendmail like "Cannot open
/path/name: Group writable directory" and "aliasing/forwarding loop
broken".

One solution is to add:

O DontBlameSendmail=groupwritabledirpathsafe

in your sendmail.cf and restart sendmail.

The other method (and generally the recommended one) is to remove the
group-write bit on the lists directory and any list files.
Make sure also any parent directories to not have the group or other write
bit set. If Majordomo is working correctly having group
write permission is not necessary. However, some people find it convenient
to have group-write access so users can be put in the
majordomo group and not need root access all the time to work on
majordomo.

	You may want to take a look at Mailman.  I spent a fair amount of
time working with majordomo for a dozen or so small lists and it was kind
of a pain.  Don't get me work, it works, completely.  Then I came across
mailman and I was sold :

	http://www.list.org/

Joseph Scott
joseph@randomnetworks.com