Date:      Wed, 04 Feb 1998 16:50:28 +0100
From:      "Stefan Bethke" <stefan@promo.de>
To:        stesin@gu.net, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        "Julian Elischer" <julian@whistle.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kirk's soft-update integration..

--On Mit, 4. Feb 1998 17:22 Uhr +0200 "Andrew Stesin" <stesin@gu.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Feb 1998, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>
>> As long as you can make a "binary weapon" out of this, where we
>> incorporate only those non-poison-pilled portions into FreeBSD (just
>> as OpenBSD has done) and leave it up to the user to add the specially
>> licenced files, I don't see a problem.  In fact, I'd really LIKE to
>> see this happen so that those who just want to play with the soft
>> update code and have no commercial aspirations can do so.
>
> 	People, this great feature and advanced performance enhancement
> 	shouldn't be missed!  It should dramatically increase
> 	the performance of say Usenet servers, or Samba/NFS
> 	fileservice etc.
[...]

Maybe I got this completely wrong, but "commercial aspirations" doesn't mean
"make monay from running the software" but rather "making money by selling
the software".

As Kirk quite clearly stated, he doesn't want to hinder people from using
the code, but wants "FreeBSD OEMs" (like Whistle) to pay him a fair share
for his work.

Stefan

--
Stefan Bethke
Promo Datentechnik      |  Tel. +49-40-851744-18