Date:      Wed, 21 Nov 2012 14:18:41 +0100
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Bernhard_Fr=F6hlich?= <decke@FreeBSD.org>
To:        =?UTF-8?B?7KeE7ISd7Jik?= <jsukoh@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: virtualbox 4.2.4 tooooo slow

On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 9:24 AM, =EC=A7=84=EC=84=9D=EC=98=A4 <jsukoh@gmail.=
com> wrote:
> Dear,
>
> I installed virtualbox 4.2.4(CFT) on zfs FreeBSD 9.1-RC3
>
> installing and windows guest(windows 8) install with guest addition was
> successful.
> but the windows guest is too slow, it is hardly usable.
>
> my hardware specs.
> intel i7 quad core 3.6. ghz, with 8 thread
> mem 16G
> motherboard - asrock z79 extreme 6.
> intel SSD 120G.
>

> my virtualbox vdi file is at zroot/bigfile, with
> primaryache, secondarycache =3D NONE, even sync=3Ddisabled because of slo=
> performance.
>
> virtual machine settings
> - mem  4096M, cpu 4ea
> - 25g vdi(SATA controller) with SSD ticked
> - VT-x/AMD-V, Nested Paging
> - video 128M
>

> I tried the VB on UFS because ZFS was too slow, but the result was the
> same..
> I downgraded to FreeBSD 9.0 on UFS or / ZFS, but but the result was the
> same..
> and  I tried virtualbox 4.1.22 on FB 9.0/9.1-RC3,but but the result was t=
he
> same..
>
> but sad story is that
> I found that virtualbox 4.2.4 on linux(opensuse 12.2, ext4) was very fast=
.
> opensuse is installed on the second harddisk(NOT SSD)  at the same comput=
er.

> virtualbox zfs/FreeBSD on SSD is much slower than virtualbox ext4/opensus=
> on SATA2 harddisk...
>

> do I have any miss to setup on FreeBSD? I do not want to reboot to linux
> just because of virtualbox....
>
> please let me know what I should do, if you use virtualbox on FreeBSD
> without any problem...
>
> thank you in advance...
>
> from jsuk

I would start doing some easy tests to verify what slow really means.
Is it related
to CPU, I/O, network? What does top say on the host? Is the VM consuming lo=
ts
of CPU all the time or generating an unusual high number of interrupts?

VirtualBox tries to use hardware CPU features for virtualization BUT it als=
o has
a software emulation fallback (from QEMU I think) but that is painfully slo=
w so
usually when someone says "vbox is slow" that is a sign of either your CPU
features weren't detected correctly or your BIOS has a bug and doesn't anno=
unce
them properly. In either case checking that you run the latest BIOS is
a good idea.

If you had a look at that stuff please attach your ~/VirtualBox
VMs/Logs/VBox.log

--=20
Bernhard Froehlich
http://www.bluelife.at/