Date:      Fri, 28 Sep 2001 22:12:42 -0400
From:      Andrew BOGECHO <andrewb@cs.mcgill.ca>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Boot CD crashes Thinkpad iSeries 1300 (Model 11719XU)

Fri Sep 28 21:59:22 EDT 2001

Hi All,

I have to setup an IBM Thinkpad, the user wanted Linux, on it, but
because this model has a CDRW drive, Redhat 7.1, Mandrake 8.0 and
Mandrake 8.1 all seem to hang on the install.

Thinking that maybe the user would finally appreciate the beauty
of FreeBSD, I tried installing 4.4-RELEASE, but it hangs as soon
as it gets to:

usb0: SMM does not respond, resetting

The same problem happens to FreeBSD 4.3 and FreeBSD 4.1.1. I also
tried NetBSD but that also hangs.

So currently, I am stuck with a laptop that only has windows and a
large stack of newly burned CDs (which I have tested, and work on
other machines). I have also looked into the BIOS, and saw no way of
disabling USB.

If any of you have ideas, I welcome them. If more information is
needed let me know.

I hope that you all have a nice weekend.

Andrew.