Date:      Wed, 17 Dec 1997 20:06:34 -0700 (MST)
From:      Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To:        Dan Jacobowitz <drow@drow.net>, "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@panda.hilink.com.au>
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Support for secure http protocols

On Wed, 17 Dec 1997, Dan Jacobowitz wrote:

> But, in the US at least (Canada?) one must pay a license fee to RSA.  Not
> too steep, I think.

The license fee isn't too steep except for the small detail that they are
only available in quantity, with minimum pricing starting at $25k or
something.

There used to be a third party reselling them in small quantities, but
AFAIK no one does that any more.

> Plus the cost of a certificate...how much does that run?  Any ideas?

You can sign your own if you have some control over the clients.  Verisign
does not offer certificates for the free version of Apache-SSL.  Thawte
(http://www.thawte.com/) does.

> On Thu, 18 Dec 1997, Daniel O'Callaghan wrote:
>

> > On Wed, 17 Dec 1997, Jim wrote:
> >
> > > Yeah, Stronghold is a modified version of Apache1.2.4
> > > It costs a pretty penny for commercial use.
> > > edu is free... I think they have a 30day evaluation.
> > > It takes alot of the frills out of Apache as well as providing SSL support.
> >
> > But apache-ssl in the ports collection is completely free.  And Eric
> > Young's ssl-eay provides a library for ssl work, and includes
> > telnet/telnetd and ftp/ftpd samples.

The code is free, the right to use it in fascist countries like the US
isn't.  For non-commercial use, you can use RSA's RSAREF library free of
charge.