Date:      Thu, 12 Aug 1999 01:29:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: it's time...

On Wed, 11 Aug 1999, Warner Losh wrote:
> In message <Pine.BSF.4.10.9908120030320.4840-100000@sasami.jurai.net> "Matthew N. Dodd" writes:
> : check out eisa_reg_print() and eisa_print_child() in
> : sys/i386/eisa/eisaconf.c
> :
> : Sanity in output is a good thing.
>
> Agreed.  I like what I see there.  Maybe it is time to hoist something
> like that into bus_subr.c

Lets define exactly what we want before we start our charge.

What should be printed?
	device ID
	attachment point
	resource reservation
	device additional
When should it be printed?
	bootverbose levels?
How should it printed?
	???N: <???> on ???N ...
	or...

Since we've got things partway tied up with new_bus, maybe we should
complete the job, and define a device method for printing out the device
additional information so it can be dispatched from a single place.

How are we going to enforce the use of this 'pretty printer'?  Should we
embed this logic in device_printf()?  This would be practical if our goal
were not only impose order on the probe/attach messages but also anything
a driver printed (nothing more annoying that stray error messages for
which the issuing device is unknown.)  I'm not sure this is our goal at
this time?  Will we ever have such a goal?

I see our goal as follows.

1. one unified format for devce probe/attach ammouncments.
2. the ability to control the amount of information printed during
   the device probe/attach.

Anyhow, just trying to stir up some ideas here; please don't take any of
my statements as an indication of intended course.  I really don't have
any good answers at this point and would like to hear the opinions of
others.

--
| Matthew N. Dodd  | '78 Datsun 280Z | '75 Volvo 164E | FreeBSD/NetBSD  |
| winter@jurai.net |       2 x '84 Volvo 245DL        | ix86,sparc,pmax |