Date:      Thu, 21 Dec 2000 22:03:30 -0500
From:      John Soward <soward@uky.edu>
To:        freebsd-hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [fernan@iib.unsam.edu.ar: 4.2 release iso image checksum]

jason andrade wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Dec 2000, Dan Langille wrote:
>

>> On 20 Dec 2000, at 20:07, jason andrade wrote:
>>

>>> On Wed, 20 Dec 2000, Wolfram Schneider wrote:
>>>
>>> this is why i wish mirrors (and only mirrors!) had rsync access to
>>> an authoritative freebsd repository.
>>
>> Do you mean similar to the way in which cvsup mirrors have access to
>> cvsup-master.freebsd.org?
>

> something like that aye.  perhaps the concept of a master.freebsd.org
> or even a mirror.freebsd.org which could run rsync. whatever.. it's
> just it's actually literally impossible for me to continue to run a
> full freebsd mirror on a daily basis in AU..  i'm kinda curious
> how many sites out there can manage this ?
>
> in particular the package trees really kill us with the rebuilds.

rsync would be helpful, even with a fast US link and fast box, I've
been reluctant to advertise my mirror outside of campus here because it
can take days to weeks to catch up, especially when something causes the
perl mirror software to choke...

--
John Soward
Lead Systems Programmer, Technical Services, University of Kentucky