Date:      Wed, 17 Feb 2016 17:06:48 -0800
From:      Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
To:        Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-stable-local@be-well.ilk.org>
Cc:        hiren panchasara <hiren@strugglingcoder.info>, owner-freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, stable@freebsd.org, Efra?n D?ctor <efraindector@motumweb.com>
Subject:   Re: intr using Swap

<freebsd-stable-local@be-well.ilk.org> wrote:
>=20
> hiren panchasara <hiren@strugglingcoder.info> writes:
>=20
>> On 02/17/16 at 04:44P, Efra?n D?ctor wrote:
>>> El 17/02/2016 a las 01:15 p. m., dweimer escribi?:

>>>=20
>>> The server has 64 GB of RAM, 40-45 GB are always inactive thats why =
I'm=20
>>> wondering why are the processes being swapped out.
>=20
> There are almost certainly no processes being swapped out. Some of =
their
> *pages* are being stored in swap, but that is a very different thing.
>=20
>> Yes, I've seen this too. Inact end up accumulating a very large chunk =
of
>> memory leaving Free to very low.=20
>=20
> That's yet another, different thing.
>=20
>> What VM/pagedaemon seems to care about is Free+Cache and not just =
Free.
>=20
> Which makes sense, even without a deep understanding of the concepts,
> because those are guaranteed to be able to be re-allocated =
immediately.
> It is literally true that the pageout scan does nothing when =
free+cache
> is less than the target.
>=20
>> I kind of get that Free mem is wasted mem but putting everything in =
Inact
>> to the point that machine has to go into swap when a sudden need =
arises
>> also doesn't seem right.
>=20
> "Go into swap" is too vague to mean much.  I suspect that you mean the
> system will have to start swapping out rapidly, but that isn't =
actually
> the case. First of all, pages in "inact" aren't necessarily dirty, so
> re-using them wouldn't be as expensive as having to write them to
> backing store. Also, when a page is copied to swap, the surrounding
> pages are eligible to be copied to swap also, to take advantage of the
> bandwidth advantages of larger transfer sizes. This does not move them
> to the cache queue, although it does make that easier to do later if =
and
> when their "turn" comes up.
>=20
>> I guess it all boils down to adjusting defaults to the system's need.
>> i.e. if you know you have a proc that may need a large chunk of mem
>> you'd need to tweak free+cache target accordingly. What I find =
lacking
>> is the correct/easy way to do it. If I look at available sysctls:
>> vm.v_free_min: Minimum low-free-pages threshold
>> vm.v_cache_min: Min pages on cache queue
>> vm.v_free_target: Desired free pages
>> And I cannot get them to do the right thing to have more Free around =
so
>> swapping doesn't happen in sudden need. And are these all runtime
>> sysctls? OR does it require reboot for them to work right?=20
>=20
> These take effect immediately, from what I can see.
>=20
> Have you measured that paging (not swapping; that's a more extreme
> measure where the whole process gets removed from memory) is a
> significant load on your system in a specific case? If not, I doubt =
that
> it's actually the case, and you're mitigating a non-existent problem

I believe the question here is what is using up the swap space.  =46rom =
what I have been able to find with a similar situation is that malloc =
will allocate swap space to backup memory and mmap will also allocate =
swap if there is no backing file.  procstat -v can be helpful in chasing =
down some of those issues.  However, I ended up guessing which process =
it was by sequentially restarting processes and watching swapinfo.  I =
still have not been able to chase down what in that process is using the =
space.  There are no mmaps that are not file backed so it must be a =
malloc.  Finding the right one has been elusive. =20