Date:      Wed, 13 Nov 1996 18:34:25 +0300 (MSK)
From:      "=?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?=" (Andrey A. Chernov) <ache@nagual.ru>
To:        gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org (Justin T. Gibbs)
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCB paging is most dangerous option now!

> This sounds like a cache coherency bug with your motherboard.  What kind
> is it?

OPTI895 VL/ISA-PB486P3

> 2) After I saw your bug report last night, I again attempted to reproduce
> the error.  I made my 2940 look as much like a 2842 as I could by making
> the driver believe that it only has 4 SCBs.  After about 30 minutes of
> poinding my two disks with as many as 30 outstanding transactions at a
> time, I gave up.  I will try again tonight with my aic7850 card (3 SCBs)
> as soon as I can rip the machine apart and rearange my disks.

I don't even wait a minutes, I got inodes wipe on very _first_
write immediately.

> If it is DMA related, it should be easy to see that by playing with your
> cache settings and trying to reproduce the problem.  If you are going to do
> this, attempt to repro it *only in single user mode*, with your filesystems
> mounted read only, by starting multiple processes acessing the disks.  I
> have yet to lose any disk data with this kind of testing, and this will
> usually fail easily if the problem you are reporting still exists.  If the
> system starts to go south, note what the error messages are and hit the
> reset button.  Multiple dds (at least 8 to each drive) from the raw
> partitions of your disks to /dev/null will work nicely.

I read only mode I got the almost same result with SCB paging as without it.
This bug affects _writing_only_, not reading.
And I can't start 8 dds for each drive in both modes,
3 dds per drive is enough to cause "Queue Full" in both modes, but
it is harmless due to read only.
If I increase dds count, I got "timed out in dataout phase" for SCB mode or
"timed out in message out phase" for non-SCB mode.

--
Andrey A. Chernov
<ache@nagual.ru>