Date:      Sat, 24 Jan 2004 21:04:02 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
To:        Marco Trentini <mark@remotelab.org>
Cc:        emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New /dev/rtc driver for vmware

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004, Marco Trentini wrote:

> Hi, I'm using vmware without rct module because if I load that module
> (and load a virtual machine) I get a panic when shutdown the (real)
> machine (on FreeBSD 5.2RC and last but one version of vmware3 port).

Yeah, I fixed that a few days ago in the port, and this version of rtc.c
includes the fix as well.

> Can you explain in a nutshell the main advantages to use this module?
>
> Thanks.

Well, it's _supposed_ to give you more accurate clocking in win98 VMs, and
I think that it should help the others as well, but I haven't been a
vmware user long enough to tell.  This is why I'd like the opinion of some
longtime vmware users to see how this new driver compares to the previous
driver and/or how it compares to running without the driver with various
virtual machine types.

Mike "Silby" Silbersack