Date:      Mon, 20 Feb 95 9:42:52 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        ljo@po.CWRU.Edu
Cc:        nate@trout.sri.MT.net, rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com, current@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: libcompat and shlib conflict

>  Isn't the idea not to have a shared libcompat? This library is
> supposed to disappear (at least some functions in it) and we don't
> want binaries to depend on having these functions in new releases.
>  This also gives an extra incentive to fix programs that use it as
> their binaries will be larger :)

A program compiled with a static libcompat as opposed to a dynamic
libcompat is more likely to correctly match another platforms ABI
in any case.  Not only are we not guaranteed that the external
globals linked into your program and referenced by the libcompat
routines will be the same on another platform (causing their shared
libcompat to fail), but the cruft in libcompat is likely as not
going to be different from vendor to vendor anyway.

Specifically, the libcompat is cruft to act as glue between an old
program that everyone is too lazy to rewrite, and new interfaces for
which specifications are available.

The cost of the cruft should be bourne by the crufty program.

As someone else noted, think of it as incentive to do what should
have been done instead of using libcompat in the first place.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.