Date:      Thu, 05 Apr 2012 20:47:02 +0300
From:      Volodymyr Kostyrko <c.kworr@gmail.com>
To:        =?UTF-8?B?0JvRjtCx0L7QvNC40YAg0JPRgNC40LPQvtGA0L7Qsg==?= <nm.knife@gmail.com>
Cc:        Ivan Klymenko <fidaj@ukr.net>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: lowest C-state changes

=D0=9B=D1=8E=D0=B1=D0=BE=D0=BC=D0=B8=D1=80 =D0=93=D1=80=D0=B8=D0=B3=D0=BE=
=D1=80=D0=BE=D0=B2 wrote:
>  > Have you checked http://wiki.freebsd.org/TuningPowerConsumption?
> I have. It was kind of confusing and didn't know about:
>  > 1. For CX states to function correctly you better disable throttling=

>  > and powerd. I also witnessed at least one machine that hitting any C=
>  > mode stops generate interrupts on APIC clock (I had to boot it with =
>  > mousee until I disabled APIC clocks).
> So do you recommend I use throttling or C3? I think C3 runs slightly
> cooler. I can't tell since I don't drop under 50C in X. Fan increases a=
> 60C and drops me back.

I wouldn't dare to recommend any particular configuration. Most times=20
throttling is safer and with CX states you can get cooler. But both of=20
them doesn't play nice together. If you want higher cooling you can try=20
to disable throttling (and you will not need powerd as powerd takes care =

of frequencies) and enable CX but you will need to test everything=20
thoroughly as unepected bugs can show up. Remember, the default way=20
isn't the better one, just the safer one.

>  > First need to see what state the processor supports the current
>  > system
>  >sysctl -a | grep cx_
> This is before heavy load while it still remembers the C3:

It's just about ability to set C3 or any other particular state. Some=20
processors show only C1 state as available.

For example:

hw.model: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E8400  @ 3.00GHz
 > sysctl dev.cpu | grep cx
dev.cpu.0.cx_supported: C1/1
dev.cpu.0.cx_lowest: C1
dev.cpu.0.cx_usage: 100.00% last 293us
dev.cpu.1.cx_supported: C1/1
dev.cpu.1.cx_lowest: C1
dev.cpu.1.cx_usage: 100.00% last 15us

Setting lower CX on this machine results in:

# sysctl hw.acpi.cpu.cx_lowest=3DC3
hw.acpi.cpu.cx_lowest: C1
sysctl: hw.acpi.cpu.cx_lowest: Invalid argument

--=20
Sphinx of black quartz judge my vow.