Date:      Tue, 7 Mar 95 08:04:31 +0100
From:      hoffmann@wsl.ch (Christian Hoffmann)
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org, seidl@cdrom.com, rob@cdrom.com
Subject:   Linux mouse 3 buttons

Hallo,

I have now installed Walnut Creek Plug-and-Play Linux on my 486Dx2/66, for
the xth time.

I have the following problem:

In Linux itself and in Xwindows the middle click of my Logitech Mouseman is
not properly treated. It is processed like the left button.

Yes, I can switch on the middle button of a Logitech Mouseman, by specifying

chordmiddle

BUT I need also interclicks, i.e. Holding down one mouse button while
pressing another. This feature is NEEDED in Linux Oberon from ETHZurich.

The mouse is ok in DOS/Windows. Can there be a technical flaw in the mouse
that only Linux can "see"?

Is there a mouse switch in the setup of Linux, or does it sense the mouse
from the serial port at startup? If there is no switch, why is there in
Xwindows?

Thank you for your help
Cheers
Christian Hoffmann
Swiss Federal Institute for Forest, Snow and Landscape Research
CH-8903 Birmensdorf, Switzerland
phone: ++41-1-739 22 77    fax  : ++41-1-739 22 15   e-mail:  hoffmann@wsl.ch