Date:      Tue, 2 Dec 1997 14:05:34 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   command-line vat-like application

Hi,

if someone is interested, the command-line vat-like application I was
writing is mostly functional. It works with both my driver and guspnp
(thanks to Amancio for the testing...) and supports a receive-only mode
which can be used for half-duplex hardware.

The code (alpha state) is available at

	http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/tel971202.tgz

as usual i might release new versions in the next days so check also on
my web page

	http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/FreeBSD.html

for the most up-to-date version.

As usual feedback and constructive criticism would be highly
appreciated. I believe the code is relatively simple to follow so
someone might even try to play with it, or even better port it to other
architectures such as SUN, DEC, SGI, HP... all machine-dependant code
should be in md_code.c -- although I have not looked carefully at
portability, so some patching to tel.h might be necessary to compile on
other systems.

>From the README file:

This is a very rough implementation of an audioconferencing program
(really, closer to a telephone...) which interoperates with vat/rat.
The goal was to build a very small application which requires little
resources to run.

The program can be used as a receive-only tool (e.g. to listen to
multicast audio sessions), or as a simple audio multicaster,
or finally as an easy to use internet telephone for machines which do
not have X running.

You can compile it using the makefile -- it requires libgsm to be
installed. Works with both voxware/oss and my audio driver on FreeBSD.
Porting to other systems should be trivial.

Start the program as

    tel [options] [host/port]

host/port can specify either unicast or multicast addresses.
For a complete list of options run

    tel -h

Commands are shown using the '?' command from within the application.
Typically, operation resembles that of a telephone so you can dial a
remote host, answer an incoming call (signalled by a ring), and hangup
when you are done. In the middle of a conversation you can play a ulaw
file to the remote node.

When the transmitter is active there is a simple time counter showing
the time from the start of the conversation.
If the remote host is not receiving and ICMP messages arrive back, the
program hangups automatically.

KNOWN BUGS:

  * no sophisticated handling misordered or lost packets;
  * no support for multiple speakers. You can still listen to
    multicast sessions but behaviour with multiple senders is
    unpredictable;
  * only PCMU and GSM formats are currently supported. LPC code
    is in but not fully integrated yet.

	Cheers
	Luigi