Date:      Mon, 6 Nov 2000 15:50:00 -0000
From:      Daniel Bye <Daniel.Bye@uk.uu.net>
To:        'Drew Sanford' <drew@planetwe.com>, Tim Stahl <phantomnoble@excite.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Got a quick question.

These words are potentially misleading (although more informative than
my first response :o)  FreeBSD has the look and feel of UNIX, but it
isn't UNIX, due to a ruling over the use of the name.  We are not at
liberty to call it UNIX because our system doesn't come under the terms
of the copyright.  And frankly, the whole argument is a little dated
and very sad, but there you have it.  It is merely a game of semantics
that the big boys won.

So paraphrase Drew's mail to read:

"FreeBSD ... is an actual UNIX-like OS, not just a kernel."

Dan