Date:      Sat, 19 Apr 1997 14:28:56 -0400 (EDT)
From:      camattin@ncsu.edu (Chris A. Mattingly)
To:        paul@originat.demon.co.uk (Paul Richards)
Cc:        skynyrd@opus.cts.cwu.edu (Chris Timmons), imp@village.org (Warner Losh), current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Speed deamons: How to build a build box?

Paul Richards wrote the following about "Re: Speed deamons: How to build a build box?" on Sat Apr 19 06:27:32 1997

> Chris Timmons <skynyrd@opus.cts.cwu.edu> writes:
>
> > My -current build machine at the moment is a pro200, 32mb of EDO and one
> > f/w disk on a 3940.  With async /usr, CFLAGS -pipe -0, no eBones or secure
> > and NOMANCOMPRESS I was building in about 1:41 yesterday afternoon.
>
> Hmm, it can't be that i/o bound then.
>
> My P100, with 64Mb and a fast/wide Atlas on a 2940 takes 5 hours to do
> a make world.
>
> I do a bit more than you, I have
> CFLAGS= -O2 -m486 -pipe
>
> and I build the whole lot. If it was a strictly i/o bound process my
> P100 wouldn't do so badly since everything else is comparable or
> better than your PPro200.

FYI, I have a P133, 2940, SEAGATE ST32151N, 64 Megs EDO, and a make world
took 4:18:37 .. this included compressing the man pages, eBones, etc, and
also cleaning out my last build.

-Chris
--
Chris Mattingly           | My views are not necessarily those of my employers
camattin@ncsu.edu         |