Date:      Fri, 8 Sep 1995 16:01:24 -0400
From:      "matthew c. mead" <mmead@Glock.COM>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami), ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mosaic 2.7b1

On Fri, September 8, 1995 at 12:46:00 (-0700), Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
 > > I'm forwarding this to the ports list, where we usually talk about
 > > this stuff.  Jordan, did you try this version?  The one in ports is
 > > 2.6, why is it the older version?

 > Because 2.7b1 is a BETA release and I try to target any port I do at
 > the last stable release version.

	Makes sense.

 > FWIW, BOTH releases have this problem with >8 bit depths anyway so it
 > wouldn't do him any good.  I think it's time for Matthew to Use The

	The 24 bit depth on 2.7b1 works fine.  The person that donated the
16 bit depth code hardcoded in shifts and masks, rather than querying the
display like the 24 bit depth code does.  I tried making appropriate
changes, but there's something really funky about computing the depths and
the way that Mosaic handles its bitmaps, or I'm just plum crazy!  I'm
working on it still, however, and should have something in a week or two.

 > Source, Luke!  There's quite a lot happening in there and it should be
 > possible to trace the code allocating color cells fairly easily (since
 > it's just one set of X API calls) if someone is willing to do the leg
 > work.  I am not so interested since netscape works just fine for me,
 > but if Matt is then all I can say is "have fun in there, dude!"

	I'll see if I can get some time in on it this weekend and hopefully
produce some 16 bit depth code that works.

-matt

--
Matthew C. Mead

mmead@Glock.COM              | Network Administration and Software Development