Date:      Mon, 29 May 2000 16:39:17 -0500
From:      "C. Stephen Gunn" <csg@waterspout.com>
To:        Victor Ponomarev <vick@unet.ru>
Cc:        Net <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: VLAN improvement needed...

On Fri, May 26, 2000 at 04:59:56PM +0400, Victor Ponomarev wrote:

> Now VLAN support in stable is bad.

I'm not sure what you mean by now.  if_vlan has always had some
shortcomings.  I don't think anything has changed recently.

> When host send a packet about 1514 byte switch trunk port add 4 byte and
> router trunk port substitute vlan tag to another and send it back to
> switch. The latter remove vlan header and send packet to appropriate
> vlan ports.
>
> Currently FreeBSD router simply drop large packet on it's interface.
> That's very bad...

Actually several ethernet cards drop these frames as giants.  There
are also a few (ti in particular) that do not.

> The existing solution on these problem for Intel card may be found at
>     http://www.euitt.upm.es/~pjlobo/

I've reviewed this patch carefully before.  I still don't see any
changes the the FXP driver that allow reception of tagged frames.

I do have some modifications around that allow larger frame sizes on
3Com 3c905B-TX cards.  I'll dug that patch up, and put it online:

  http://www.physics.purdue.edu/~csg/xl-vlan.patch

> But there's another problem with small ip packet. When BSD router strip
> ethernet header for payload < 46 it strip padding bytes also. But when
> it reinserted data with another vlan header it don't add padding bytes
> and we have runts packets on interface.

Do you think this is related to VLANs because of the encapsulation?

Do you have a method to duplicate this behavior?

 - Steve