Date:      Mon, 18 Jan 1999 10:38:57 -0500 (EST)
From:      Patrick Gardella <patrick@cre8tivegroup.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   WordPerfect 8 and printing on 2.2.8

This is a bizarre problem that has me baffled.  I've got the Linux Word Perfect
8 on my FreeBSD-STABLE box.  It runs fine.

But it won't print!  I get a spooler error when I try to print.  The spooler
command is showing up, and it's correct, but it just keeps giving me the error:
Spool Command.  The spool command it's using is "lpr -Plp <f>" where f is
the file name.

If I print to disk, and then use the exact same print command, it prints fine.

I'm printing to an Apple Laserwriter that's on our Appletalk network (running
netatalk). I've tried a passthru PostScript, as well as choosing the model
printer it is.  Everything else can print to it (Netscape, XFMail).

Almost everything.  I had StarOffice 4sp3 on this machine as well, and it gave
me trouble as well.

I'm guessing that it's a permission problem either on a command or on the
spooling directory, but I've not been able to nail it down.  Does anyone know
where, or if, Word Perfect creates a temp file before being sent to the lpr
command?  I've run it as root, and it still doesn't print.

I'm about ready to wipe the hard disk and start over, with a clean install of
everything, but that's overkill for an otherwise perfectly running system.

Can anyone offer suggestions?

---
Patrick S. Gardella                    Director of Web Development
The Creative Group    1-800-804-0783 ext 29     606-858-8029 (fax)
http://www.cre8tivegroup.com                 PGP Key ID 0xEE2D47A9