Date:      Tue, 14 Aug 2001 17:37:49 -0700
From:      Ted Faber <faber@ISI.EDU>
To:        Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>
Cc:        Ted Faber <faber@lunabase.org>, Conrad Sabatier <conrads@home.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, devet@devet.org, Cameron Grant <gandalf@vilnya.demon.co.uk>, freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kern/29709: last sound driver MFC introduced problems with various applications

--3wyj3Xt2kUWLNC5K

On Tue, Aug 14, 2001 at 10:36:09PM +0200, Andre Albsmeier wrote:
> The PR (29709) contains a patch from Cameron which fixes the problem
> here (SB16 with mxaudio and mtv)!
>
> Maybe you want to try it out as well...

I can't get to the original machine until later, but I build the
PRERELEASE on my laptop and it exhibits the same problems.

arvon:~$ cat /dev/sndstat
FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm) Aug 14 2001 15:55:37
Installed devices:
pcm0: <Yamaha DS-1E (YMF744)> at memory 0xfedf8000 irq 9 (4p/2r/0v channels duplex)

I applied the patch, and mtv works.  Once.  A second invocation can't
open /dev/dsp.  aviplay has similar problems, although it may run more
than once, eventually the sound device gets jammed up.  (mtv may run
more than once, too, but the time I tried it failed on the second
attempt).

play from the sox package still fails, as does catting the file,
although the failure mode is a little different: a pop then the sound
played too fast and then a pop.

I'll try this all again on my soundblaster at home, but I don't think
this should close yet.

--3wyj3Xt2kUWLNC5K

--3wyj3Xt2kUWLNC5K--