Date:      Thu, 7 Sep 2006 21:25:19 +0200
From:      Max Laier <max@love2party.net>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, KES <kes-kes@yandex.ru>
Subject:   Re: NEW IDEAS

--nextPart2814107.morlUgbMXX

[ Your caps-lock is broken ]

On Thursday 07 September 2006 20:21, KES wrote:
> Hello, freebsd-net.
>
> What about this?
>
> Archie Cobbs <archie@dellroad.org> wrote:
> >>KES wrote:
> >> Hello, archie.
> >>
> >> How about 'ALTQ' node? or may be 'queue' node
> >> for packets scheduling
> >>
> >> in--->|policy|--->out
> >>
> >> policy may be CBQ, PRIO, HFSC or HTB....
> >>
> >> I want this:
> >>
> >> in-->HTB-->out - - - in-->PRIO-->out
> >
> >Sounds neat.. ask around on freebsd-net@freebsd.org as there may
> >be others interested, etc.

The problem is, how do you classify your traffic for queueing?  i.e. where=
=20
and how do you decide whether to put a given packet into queue A or B?

In the normal processing path, this happens inside the packet filters=20
(either pf or ipfw at this time).  On a given "firewall" rule you can=20
decide which queue will be used for packets that match the rule (or the=20
state created by this rule).  This information is later used as the=20
packet is enqueued in the ALTQ on the network interface.  If you want a=20
netgraph node (I belive that is what you are talking about) to do ALTQ,=20
you need a classifier somewhere as well.

=2D-=20