Date:      Sun, 04 Aug 2002 18:45:28 -0700
From:      Darren Pilgrim <dmp@pantherdragon.org>
To:        Desmond Lee <desmond.lee@shaw.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: can no longer log into the machine :(

Desmond Lee wrote:

> Hi there
>
> I had free bsd 4.4 and was trying to update to 4.6. So, i'm following the
> instructions of my freebsd book, and got past the 'make kernel
> KERNCONF=MYKERN' command. Then rebooted the machine and then typed 'cd
> /usr/src'. Then i tried to execute 'make installworld', but it couldn't
> execute and said something was wrong with smmsp and to look in the UPDATING
> file.
>
> So i looked into the UPDATING file and looked for smmsp. It gave some
> suggestions indicating that i have to execute 'megemaster -p'. So that's
> what i did and i didn't really understand what was going on, but i tried to
> merge in differences from different files.
>
> I then rebooted, and now i can't log into my machine under root or any other
> user.

What actions did you take on the for /etc/master.passwd and /etc/group?
Did you tell mergemaster to install the new versions or auto-merge
the two versions?  If you did, (and there is no nice way of putting
this), you've hosed /etc/master.passwd and/or /etc/group.  If pwd_mkdb
(vipw included) hasn't been run yet, and the daily periodic passwd
backup script hasn't been run since you did the merge, you should have
a backup copy of your original master.passwd in /var/backups.  If you
don't have a backup copy in /var/backups, you may still be able to
rebuild using /etc/passwd and /etc/spwd.db.

Always run `mergemaster -p` before buildworld.  If mergemaster says
there are differences in etc/master.passwd and/or etc/group, then you
need to HAND-EDIT these files.  ALWAYS hand-edit these files.  If you
do hand-edit, make sure you updating the CVS tags in those files.  If
master.passwd gets changed, you need to propagate those changes to the
other password files by saying `pwd_mkdb -p /etc/master.passwd`.

This is the perfect example of why backing up /etc before you even do
buildworld is important.  It takes just a few seconds and a single
command: `tar -cf /root/etc_backup.tar -C /etc .`