Date:      Wed, 13 May 1998 17:49:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Short <Ashort@concentric.net>
To:        Ted Stein <ted@taki.net>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD vs Linux

On Wed, 13 May 1998, Ted Stein wrote:

> 	On the contrary. One of the things that distinguishes FreeBSD from
> Linux is that we DON'T have a RedHat. Nor a Slackware, a Debian, etc, for

I believe I said that.  =)  But my point was there seems to be so much
talk on here about "How come we aren't as visible as Linux?"  Well ONE of
the really big reasons is that FreeBSD doesn't really have a mainline
distributor like Linux has 10.  I would venture to guess that even the
great Walnut Creek sells a lot more Linux CD's than FreeBSD...

In a _way_ they probably run as much on Linux as they FreeBSD. (In terms
of dollars, that is).  Who's to blame them for selling things that people
want to buy?

And on THAT note...should the different distro's of Linux be considered a
different OS?  The kernel on all of them is still written Linus, correct?
At least the x86 kernels...not the ports to alpha, sparc, etc...

> that matter. RedHat bins won't run on other systems, and the like with
> Slackware Debian Caldera SuSE WHATEVER. We don't want multiple
> distributions.

I wouldn't want multiple distributions either.  But I do think that
FreeBSD needs a champion somewhere in commercial enterprise...there are a
lot of businesses running quality intranets on FreeBSD but not talking
about it...maybe it's so good they don't want anyone else (their
competition?) getting wind of it?  =)

Whether that champion is Walnut Creek, Yahoo!, whomever...some company
needs to step up and do this.  I can't imagine the publicity if Yahoo!
would put in somewhere VISIBLE on their web site the fact that they use
FreeBSD!  How about we strike a deal with them....something like "Ok you
benefit GREATLY from FreeBSD, how about you do chucky banner ad for every
1 in 10 (or 1 in 5...whatever) searches on "Unix, Linux, Linus, Freeware,
FreeBSD" and whatever MORE words you can think of.

There is a very serious potential ally here.  I use Yahoo for SOMETHING
every single day I am online.  FreeBSD has scratched Yahoo's back for a
long time now...how about a return favor?

> 	True. It would definitely be nice if Yahoo! would mention
> somewhere that they run FreeBSD. We need to pitch to them. The daemon is
> rather cute, no? It'd certainly attract some mean eyes, though, but I'm

Yahoo gets MAJOR MAJOR hits every day...trickle the chucky banner in there
once in a while Yahoo!!!!!!  (when it is relevant to a particular search).

> sure you get my point; if a big site like Yahoo! would preach FreeBSD, to
> an extent, at least, we could compete (compete, not eliminate the
> competition) with Linux's commercial support.

No one is saying (I don't think) that this is a Linux v. FreeBSD
thing...maybe I have seen that attitude put forth by a _few_ Linux users
mostly because of the disparity between the licensing.  I don't see any
reason to try to eliminate Linux...why?  It is quite the bleeding edge
(and sometimes bleeding gums!) desktop OS...and I respect it for that.