Date:      Wed, 16 Jun 1999 14:34:33 +0200
From:      Ladavac Marino <mladavac@metropolitan.at>
To:        'Nick Hibma' <nick.hibma@jrc.it>, Ladavac Marino <mladavac@metropolitan.at>
Subject:   compiler warnings (was: RE: Typo: sys/pci/pcisupport.c)

	[ML]  my dearest warning is SNI CC "Computation serves no
purpose".

	There is a story behind it:  our product was shipping for hpux
and was later ported to sinix.  It had some instabilities during
development (it was first developed for hpux, then the enhancements were
ported to sinix, almost in parallel).

	A colleague wrote (paraphrased)

	pointer->pointer->object.method;

	where he wanted

	pointer->pointer->object.method();

	hpux CC did not say a word.  Naturally, the method had desired
side effects :)

	/Marino