Date:      Tue, 28 Jan 2014 21:37:26 -0500
From:      J David <j.david.lists@gmail.com>
To:        Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, Garrett Wollman <wollman@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Terrible NFS performance under 9.2-RELEASE?

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 7:32 PM, Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca> wrote:
> Hopefully Garrett and/or you will be able to do some testing of it
> and report back w.r.t. performance gains, etc.

OK, it has seen light testing.

As predicted the vtnet drops are eliminated and CPU load is reduced.

The performance is also improved:

Test Before After
SeqWr 1506 7461
SeqRd 566 192015
RndRd 602 218730
RndWr 44 13972

All numbers in kiB/sec.

There were initially still some problems with lousy hostcache values
on the client after the test, which is what causes the iperf
performance to tank after the NFS test, but after a reboot of both
sides and fresh retest, I haven't reproduced that again.  If it comes
back, I'll try to figure out what's going on.

But this definitely looks like a move in the right direction.

Thanks!