Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 1996 10:18:16 GMT
From:      James Raynard <fcurrent@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        wosch@cs.tu-berlin.de
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ktrace [Was: 2.2-960612-SNAP resolver problems]

> >Indeed. Apart from volume of output, is there any particular reason
> >why ktrace writes to a file which kdump reads in, as opposed to using
> >a pipe? Particularly as the first thing kdump does is
> >freopen(tracefile, "r", stdin)!
>
> Hm, try `ktrace -f /dev/stdout | kdump -f /dev/stdin'

$ ktrace -f /dev/stdout -p 12922 | kdump -f /dev/stdin
ktrace: /dev/stdout: Operation not supported by device.

I did actually try this before I posted, although with /dev/fd/[01].

The problem is that ktrace doesn't actually write to the file itself,
it passes the name of the file to a system call that does kernel
writes to the vnode, and this only seems to work for regular files.

--
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland
james@jraynard.demon.co.uk