Date:      Fri, 21 Jan 2011 12:54:04 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG, Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de>
Subject:   Re: skype-2.0.0.72,1 && font size

Hello Matthias,

Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de> wrote:
 > I've changed my FreeBSD desktop to a laptop with a high resolution
 > display (1920x1080) ... now the fonts used by Skype for the window of
 > the contacts, of the config windows ... are too big, IMHO;
 > the fonts in the search window, for example, are fine;
 > see the screen here: http://www.unixarea.de/skype.jpg
 >
 > I don't see how I could change this, any hints? Thanks in advance

It might be related to the X server's DPI value.  Is it
configured correctly?  When it is wrong, the fonts can
be too big or too small.  Some applications respect the
DPI value, and some don't, so the problem is not obvious
in all applications.

You can view the current value with xdpyinfo:

$ xdpyinfo | grep dots
resolution: 100x100 dots per inch

There are several ways to configure it.  In your xorg.conf
file, you can add a DisplaySize line to the Monitor section:

Section "Monitor"
        DisplaySize 477 268    # values are in mm
EndSection

The X server will then calculate the DPI value for that
display device.  Another way is to run the X server with
the -dpi option (e.g. -dpi 100).  I'm using xdm(1) to
start my X server, so I've added the -dpi option to the
local display line in /usr/local/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers:

:0 local /usr/local/bin/X :0 -config xorg.conf -a 1 -dpi 100 dpms

If you use a different way to start the X server, then
you need to add it to the appropriate configuration file.

Hope that helps.

Best regards
   Oliver

"I invented Ctrl-Alt-Delete, but Bill Gates made it famous."
        -- David Bradley, original IBM PC design team