Date:      Tue, 9 Sep 1997 16:30:28 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Cc:        luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it (Luigi Rizzo)
Subject:   any experience with sb16 and fullduplex ?

I know probably noone has the answer but...

does anyone have experience with the SB16 used in full duplex ? I
am doing some tests with vat here and although I have it working,
let's say that it does not behave as I expect...

e.g. the only way I currently managed to make things work is to use
signed formats on both channels, e.g
   capture AFMT_S8, playback AFMT_S16_LE
or
   capture AFMT_S16_LE, playback AFMT_S8

I wonder if anyone is aware of restrictions in the use of the card
in full duplex. I have a program dated 1994 downloaded from the
Creative www server which uses the card in full duplex, with a big
disclaimer that it might not work on future cards etc.etc. and does
the following:

  * This program does a 16-bit recording to disk, then after about 1 second
  * starts an 8-bit playback from the same file.  The recording format is
  * 16-bit signed.  For playback, the low byte of each sample is discarded to
  * convert it to 8-bit signed.  (Note that the usual format for an 8-bit
  * recording is UNsigned.  I programmed it for 8-bit signed for avoid the
  * unsigned to signed conversion.)

I am not sure the use of signed format on both channels is just a
matter of convenience or it serves to circumvent some limitation in the
hardware... Anyways it seems to work, and possibly tonight I will make
another snap for the impatients.

	Cheers
	Luigi