Date:      Fri, 07 Nov 2014 13:41:50 -0800
From:      Xin Li <delphij@delphij.net>
To:        Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>, grarpamp <grarpamp@gmail.com>
Cc:        tor-relays@lists.torproject.org, FreeBSD Net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [tor-relays] FreeBSD's global IP ID

On 11/07/14 08:31, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> ... that's .. odd.
>
> Let's poke the freebsd crypto and network stack people and ask. I
> can't imagine why this is a problem anymore and we should default
> to it being on. The other thing you could do is have the tor port
> require it be turned on before tor runs.

If I remember correctly, it wasn't about security but about
performance, the idea was to make the option per-interface (so that
e.g. for internal, fast connection, don't bother to do it), but that
never happen.

I personally enable it on all my systems to sink away more kernel
arc4rand output (which is, unfortunately a side effect of wrong (IMO)
behavior, because the current generation code is rather unoptimized
and does arc4rand() for each IP ID generated).

The NetBSD implementation is superior than ours in my opinion as it
uses Fisher-Yates shuffle instead of doing arc4rand (modern version
even uses a lighter weighted PRNG for those who do not need strong
cryptographical strengths) every time then test for collision, and is
therefore more scalable.  See:
http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/src/sys/netinet/ip_id.c?only_with_tag=MAIN

Cheers,

> -adrian
>
> On 7 November 2014 00:20, grarpamp <grarpamp@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 6, 2014 at 8:52 AM, Philipp Winter <phw@nymity.ch>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> FreeBSD still seems to use globally incrementing IP IDs by
>>> default. That's an issue as it leaks fine-grained information
>>> about how many packets a relay's networking stack processes.
>>> (However, nobody investigated the exact impact on Tor relays so
>>> far, which makes this a FUD-heavy topic.) It looks like
>>> approximately 50 out of the 131 FreeBSD relays I tested (38%)
>>> use global IP IDs.
>>>
>>> There's a sysctl variable called "net.inet.ip.random_id" which
>>> makes a FreeBSD's IP ID behaviour random.  FreeBSD relay
>>> operators should set this to "1".
>>>
>>> Note that this issue was already discussed earlier this year in
>>> a thread called "Lots of tor relays send out sequential IP IDs;
>>> please fix that!".
>>
>> It's been default off since before it was a sysctl over a decade
>> ago. Anyone know what the deal is with that? Some objection, or
>> forgotten flag day, or oversight that really should be set to 1?
>> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=revision&revision=133720

- --
Xin LI <delphij@delphij.net>    https://www.delphij.net/
FreeBSD - The Power to Serve!           Live free or die