Date:      Thu, 08 Apr 1999 13:46:21 +0100
From:      Stuart Henderson <stuart@eclipse.net.uk>
To:        maret@axis.de
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and Proxy

> thank you for your detailed answer. Do you have the squid option
> which enables ftp upload support at hand?

It's enabled by default in the version I use (2.1.patch2) - I have used
it to upload both anonymously and with a username/password by
dragging-and-dropping files to a Netscape window.

This is only useful for sending files - you can't delete or rename,
because although squid is talking to the remote server using ftp, you
are talking to squid using http. Standard http does not have commands
equivalent to delete, rename, chmod, and so on - I think WebDAV will
need to implement them but I don't think squid supports that yet.

If you need to delete/rename/etc, then you can't use an http proxy.
Other options available now are NAT, Socks, or an FTP application proxy
(these usually work by you ftp'ing to the proxy machine, setting the
username to 'username@host.to.connect.to' and it then makes a connection
and forwards the traffic between you and the remote host). ISTR there is
an FTP application proxy in /usr/ports/net/delegate. If you use an
application proxy or NAT, then you can use any ftp client. If you use
socks, you need to use either a socks-compliant ftp program, or
replacement socket libraries.

Kind regards,
Stuart
--
  Stuart Henderson
  Network Engineer, Eclipse Networking Ltd.