Date:      Fri, 20 Oct 2000 01:19:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
To:        Udo Schweigert <ust@cert.siemens.de>
Cc:        Andrej Cernov <ache@nagual.pp.ru>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, markm@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: entropy reseeding is totally broken

On Fri, 20 Oct 2000, Udo Schweigert wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 20, 2000 at 08:48:46 +0400, Andrej Cernov wrote:
> > In very recent -current, my entropy file writted and readed sucessfully,
> > but I got the same fortune quote again and again right after reboot!
> >
> > It means that anything writted to /dev/random not reseed it but _reset_ it
> > to the same default state.
> >

> How do you shutdown your machine:
>
> a) reboot or halt
> b) shutdown -r now

	C-A-D usually works too, as does 'init 6'. One of the oft-agreed
on topics at the con is that we need a _consistent_ schedule of events for
all forms of shutdown that are not explicitly "fast" shutdown paths that
for whatever reason we don't want to schedule things like rc.shutdown and
sync for. Expect to see conversation about this on -arch sometime soon.

Doug
--
        "The dead cannot be seduced."
		- Kai, "Lexx"