Date:      Wed, 29 Feb 2012 09:33:35 +0100
From:      Kees Jan Koster <kjkoster@gmail.com>
To:        Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: random JVM crashes

Dear Greg,

Nice to hear from you. Still manning the ship, after all these years? =
I'm well impressed with your resilience.

>> I have been getting random JVM crashes that I cannot resolve on my =
own.
>>=20
>> Concrete question is: what can I do from here? What information can I =
give you guys about this?
>=20
> The biggest problem is finding someone with time to look at it.  =
Anything
> you can do to lower the barrier to entry for that is going to help.
> Getting together reproduction steps and making them as easy as =
possible
> would be a great first step.  I can't guarantee it will get results, =
but
> it should increase the likelihood dramatically.

I tried to write a small program that simulated the moving NIO parts of =
my application. That program ran flawlessly for hours on end. Then I =
started switching between JDK's (jdk16, openjdk6 and openjdk7) and found =
that the crash happened in all of them.

After a while I rebooted the machine and the system has been running =
under full load for 12 hours with no crashes.

So now I'm left with that sour taste in my mouth after you've seen a bug =
and it's gone into hiding again. :(
--
Kees Jan

http://java-monitor.com/
kjkoster@kjkoster.org
+31651838192

I hate unit tests; I much prefer the illusion that there are no errors =
in my code.
                                                                 -- =
Hendrik Muller