Date:      Mon, 10 Mar 1997 00:08:23 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   BT848: Revenge of the smurfs

I knew this title would get your attention :)

An update on my attempts to keep up with you bt848 hackers.

This is testing with a WinCast/TV, Mach64 GX (2MB VRAM), P133.

1. Thanks for putting the energy going into this.  So far so good, I'm
impressed with what I see.

2.  I've fetched the bt848 package from the HomeAuto directory & compiled
it in -- no compile problems.  This is a pretty straight 2.2-GAMMA box,
with the patches and the above packages in there.  I would rather have
blown away the kernel source and rebuilt from scratch, however I didn't
want to have to reload and fix the guspnp6 dist *again*.  SO, I have the
ioctl_meteor patches in there with the new package.  Hope this won't hurt
anything in terms of testing.

3.  Thanks to the above package, tuning is working now.  :)
Unfortunately:
	a.  Changing channels and/or the input source will sometimes lock
up the driver, requiring me to quit out tv and the remote, then restart
them to recover.  tv (Randal Hopper's version) will report
"ioctl(CAP_CONTINUOUS) failed".   I assume this is an extension of the
bktr_close() discussion occuring earlier.  A big RESET button would be
really great for this sort of thing.
	b.  No audio.  I think this is a known bug.  I forgot that the GUS
PnP won't feedback line in and mic through to the output channel, so I
guess it's a quest to Radio Shack to get a miniplug barrel connector so I
can connect this to the plug going into the stereo.

4.  Randal Hopper's version of dtv is the best I've seen so far.
	a.  The data goes into the window.  dtv-0.0 takes over the top 3/4
of the screen, ignoring the window posiion.  Plus the mouse pointer
disappears and I can't change focus.
	b.  I can move the window, but I can't resize it.  Oh darn, just
restart with the -w and -h options.  :)
	c.  Better error messages and an actual usage summary :)
	d.  Odd bit:  sometimes exiting dtv-rhh will leave the tv
capturing away even though the windowframe is gone.

5.  A special hack needs to be made for the Mach64 X server.  Amancio
reports the Mach64 cards' RGB bit order is backwards from other (S3?)
units.  This is best exhibited by firing up tv and tuning to the evening
news -- it's the attack of the killer human-sized smurfs!  :)
Traditionally blue backgounds become fire red, and my nice blue raincoat
performs a similar transformation with my video camera.  Green comes
through fine, as does captures from vic.

  If I were a hacker, I could understand brooktree.c and find the part
where the bits are grabbed and turn them around, but alas I am but a lowly
CIS student without carnal kernel driver knowledge and the part that
appears to grab bits doesn't even remotely look like it.  If someone wants
to take a stab at this, I have a fast Pentium, it doesn't take long to
build kernels, and I'm a willing guinea pig.

6. What's the magic incantation to take a snapshot in tv?  JPEG support is
in there, I assume I can take pictures, or am I misled by the code?

Again, thanks for the time and keep up the good work.