Date:      Tue, 24 Sep 1996 15:44:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: vic-2.8 - quickcam

On Tue, 24 Sep 1996, Christoph Kukulies wrote:

> I'm getting varying results from the quickcam.
> in 6bit mode the whole system holds breath
> every seconds together with heavy disk activity -
> syslog? I'm also getting a bunch of timeouts
> on reading the quickcam.

YES!  The darn qcam driver just fills the syslog to the rim.  I don't know
if the grabber is opening it in the wrong mode or what, but take a look at
your syslog after about three minutes of activty.  It's about 5 log
entries per second.  I think I'm going to hack the qcam driver to shut it
up.

> Sep 24 18:19:51 isdn-kukulies /kernel: qcam0: 1 timeouts during init
> Sep 24 18:19:52 isdn-kukulies /kernel: qcam0: 6bpp unidirectional scan mode selected
> Sep 24 18:20:23 isdn-kukulies last message repeated 31 times
> Sep 24 18:22:24 isdn-kukulies last message repeated 113 times

At least your machine picked up the repeat.

> I would suggest an environment variable to set the
> quickcam whitebalance to a fixed value.
>  From what I've read this value is a constant and
> distinct value for every individual instance.
> This would ease adjustment and confine it to two degrees of
> freedom rather than three :-)

I don't mind the whitebalance; it's sort of a softer brightness.