Date:      Wed, 19 May 1999 01:56:28 +1200
From:      Andrew McNaughton <andrew@squiz.co.nz>
To:        junkmale@xtra.co.nz
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: http attack(?)

> A few days ago, I noticed my machine was running extremely slowly.  I did a top 10 at the console and
> got "too many open files".  Existing telnet sessions were non-responsive.  New telnets would not start.
>
> I then tried a top 5.  named and syslogd were busy.
>
> I looked at httpd.error and 21 of these spread over 14 seconds:
> [Sat May 15 16:45:34 1999] accept: (client socket): Too many open files in system

I'm not too sure  whether to trust that the restriction on file handles is system wide.  Some programs may not know about FreeBSD's process limits scheme.

Check the output of 'limits' and 'sysctl -a | grep maxfiles'.  They might give you a better idea what is happening.  The context in which you run limits is important, but if your shell is failing, then that shell is probably a good thing to have a look at.  limits is a shell built-in under sh and bash, and will not spawn a new process.

Andrew McNaughton