Date:      Fri, 2 Aug 1996 07:50:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        "David E. O'Brien" <obrien@Nuxi.cs.ucdavis.edu>, FreeBSD Ports <FreeBSD-Ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Sample Makefile

On Thu, 1 Aug 1996, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > That's why I asked at the beginning if this was the direction.  I was
> > writing a Makefile for a human to read.  You're asking for a machine
> > driven one, essentially useless for a human (one that doesn't know how to
> > write a ports Makefile from the beginning anyways).  It should be obvious
> > that I wasn't pointing towards that.
>
> Yes, it was, and I wasn't really sure whether or not the human
> Makefile would work as a concept until I saw the size of yours.  The
> sheer amount of reading one would have to do in order to use it in the
> full construction of a port is rather self-defeating if you're trying
> to make the process quicker and less knowledge intensive.
>
> > the idea of someone else doing that, but my own opinion is that such a
> > thing would too radically limit what you could get done in adapting the
> > software of some _not under your control_ to a FreeBSD environment.  I
>
> Huh?  The ports collection is *all about* adapting software not under
> your control to a FreeBSD environment! ;-)

Maybe I misunderstood you, but I _think_ you're talking about mechanizing
the production of ports, or at least the Makefile, right?  The amazing (to
me, I'm a fan of bsd.port.mk) flexibility of ports would be limited if a
tool tried to get me to make Makefiles by answering questions.  I have
similarly dim views of most expert systems I've seen or read about.  I'm
more in favor of educating the humans.

That's what you were heading towards, a Makefile that had a spot for
everything, and could be filled in using a point/click tool, right?  Or
did I misread you?

> 					Jordan

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |