Date:      Tue, 30 Nov 2004 12:56:42 +0100
From:      Wouter van Rooij <aentgood@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tar : unrecognized archive format

>  Hi,
>
>  I am running on FreeBSD 5.3 and did some ports and packages installation
>  and everythings works fine. But ... today when i try to untar a *.tar.gz
>  file I get a " tar : unrecognized archive format " error
>  I am still able to untar *.tgz files, but no more *.tar.gz ?!?
>
>  Did i do something wrong whitout knowing it ;-)

 This is a newbie problem I think;-)
 You have to use the following commands with *.tgz:
 gunzip filename
 tar -xvf filename ( which changeded to *.tar )
 You have to use the following commands with *.tar.gz:
 gunzip filename
 tar -xvf filename ( which changeded to *.tar )

 Wouter van Rooij.

 P.S. You could try googling your problem first.
 You could also put the file on a page so I  could look at it later and
 see if it's really damaged or even broken