Date:      Thu, 16 Dec 1999 14:38:56 +0600 (NOVT)
From:      "Alexey N. Dokuchaev" <danfe@inet.ssc.nsu.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Filesystem ?s

Hi!

I've got several filesystem-related questions on hold.

1).  What is this all about: ufs, mfs, ffs?  What so many names?  Do they
relay to the same fs-type?  What are abbreviations stand for?

2).  Ext2fs vs. FreeBSD filesystem: when I mount ext2fs partition, do I
get write/read access?  Will all uids/gids will still be actual (I mean,
when resolving name for id, my /etc/passwd & group files will be used).  I
can't check all this right now since I don't have ext2fs parts right now;
otherwise I won't bother you ;-)

4).  Maybe more -hackers or -fs related questions, but, still, I am kinda
interested in FSes, so: how does FreeBSD FS compete with ext2fs?  Which
one shows better performance (of course, in different cases it would be
different, such as: low disk usage, intensive disk usage, caching
strategy/algorithms, when disk is almost full (NTFS would be totaly f%cked
up here) and so on....).  Any information would be appreciated.

5).  What is 'soft-update' (sorry, no mans to read, since my fBSD box is
staying down: no monitor :-(

OK.  Thank you for considering my message.

./danfe