Date:      Fri, 26 Oct 2001 20:34:58 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>
Cc:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 64 bit times revisited..

In message <200110261748.NAA22627@rodney.cnchost.com>, Bakul Shah writes:

>Okay, how about this?  Define N types that will be
>*exactly* the same on *all* machines:
>
>    time_t	 32 bits	(1 second resolution, upto yr 2038)
>    nstime64_t	 64 bits	(10^-9 second resolution, upto yr 2554)

Should be 1/2^32 resolution or you have a math nightmare dividing
by 1000000000 all the time.

>    zstime128_t	128 bits	(10^-21 second resolution, 10 billion yrs)

here: resolution 1/2^64 second.

Decimal computers lost the race and they ain't coming back.  We want
arithmetic on binary computers to be fast and simple.

The three types such ammended, can be trivially truncated and zero-extended
to each other, which will undoubtedly be a good thing.

>Add more types if you wish but please, abolish the
>clunky timespec and timeval altogether!

Well, we'll have to maintain them for traditional (timeval)
and brain-damaged extension (timespec) syscalls, but otherwise: YES!!!

>BTW, this discussion should be conducted on comp.std.internat
>as it affects all OSes, not just FreeBSD.

Well, sorry, ENOTIME from here.